Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I'm here!

Greetings from Hot, Sunny, Cairo!

I'm still a bit dazed, and looking forward to going with Mohammed Ali (no joke) to search for an apartment today. I was whisked away to see one last night, but will not make a decision until I've seen a few others.

People from the school are remarkably friendly and welcoming. We were met by the administrators at the airport, and a welcome team at the hotel. Last nite dinner was at a restaurant overlooking the Nile (gonna take a while to get used to writing that with any ease...) and then a good night's rest.

As far as first impressions go, I'll only say that all the horror stories I read about driving were accurate. I will not, in the next two years, get behind the wheel of a car, no matter the occasion. Whether it was the school bus drivers or a taxi, the only consistent rule of the road is to honk and flash your high beams, ALL THE TIME. If you want to turn, honk. If you want to cut someone off, honk. If you are sitting still in traffic, honk, honk, honk. And then at night, add the flashing headlights. I saw our bus go down side streets (and on sidewalks) that I'd never try to manipulate my car on. Pretty hilarious. And a bit nauseating :)

The next few days are scheduled for apartment hunting and then moving, and every evening there is a social of sorts planned for the new teachers and the orientation team. Business meetings at school start on Sunday.

In other news, I'm happy to add that my nephew Tijs had successful surgery and is recovering well. Can't wait to see his new smile!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Shannon!
    Glad you made it out there okay; remember that all of us in the Great White North are thinking of you and wishing you well. Give yourself time to adjust to the climate, time zone, food, language and culture, first! Enjoy!
    SHirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan! Even though I just saw you last week and then in June (which is actually more often than I usually see you) - I miss you, just knowing how far away from here you are! Reading about your first day makes me remember living out of the hotel in Tokyo when I first go to Japan. Have a great apartment shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the apartment hunt goes well. Take lots of pictures now while everything seems different - it's amazing how quickly buses driving on sidewalks will start to seem normal. Have fun!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete