Friday, August 21, 2009

Things I've already learned...


Tonight we had a staff party on a Fellucah (boat) on the Nile. They kept our three boats tied together, and it was nice to mix and mingle with new and some of the returning staff who are back in town. The above shot is one of our Fellucah captains.

The sun sets quickly, and I shot this just before we left the dock. I'll put more pictures up later when I'm on a faster connection.

I'm feeling quite accomplished with myself in the past few days, having successfully taken a taxi to multiple places, almost (fingers crossed still) rented an apartment, bought a cell phone, returned to Duty Free for some "supplies," used the bank, and not managed to get super duper lost! I probably just jinxed it...

My Arabic needs to improve drastically, or it's going to be a long two years. I think I have a new understanding of illiteracy - walking around unable to make sense of signs, directions and not understanding a word people are saying to you. When things settle, perhaps later in the fall, I'd like to take Arabic classes.

I feel safer than I thought I would, but I cannot walk the streets without comments. I'm thankful for my sunglasses, because I am stared at a lot. Sunglasses help me not incidentally make eye contact. I'm learning to walk with purpose, as if I know what I'm doing. Here in Ma'adi foreigners are more common, so perhaps we are not noticed as quickly.

Things move slower here, as shown by the fact that I still do not have a confirmed place to live. I found a gorgeous, relatively inexpensive flat for my room mate and I, and the owner left for a two day holiday in the middle of our dealings. He is *supposed* to be back tomorrow. I remain skeptical.

Tomorrow I will hopefully have a home, and spend some time stocking it in the afternoon. We have another staff party in the evening, and begin working at school on Sunday morning.

4 comments:

  1. attended already 2 staff parties....., wow, kind of nice to get acquainted!!
    I can see you float on the river Nile, it made me instantly think about the story of Moses....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you meant to say "gorgeous, inexpensive room-mate for your flat". Anyway, good to hear that your vacation, I mean job, is going well so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds scary exciting! We look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all sounds so romantic. "A party at sunset on the Nile".
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete