Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bahariyah and the Black and White Deserts

One of the things I love about this experience (living and working in Egypt) is that I'm being exposed to things that I didn't even know existed a year ago.

Two weeks ago, during our Eid Break, I traveled with 30 colleagues to Bahariyah, an Oasis in the middle of the Sahara Desert. I thought the desert was nothing more than endless sand, and huge spiders. Fortunately I was wrong about both!

I didn't see any spiders. I'm still grateful.

I also had no idea that parts of the desert look like another planet, it felt like I was walking on the moon.

We drove by bus for 5 hours, arrived at the International Hot Springs Hotel and switched to Four Wheel Drive jeeps for the rest of our trek. Late afternoon we [by 'we' I mean our Bedouin guides] were setting up camp in the middle of no where, next to these big white rocks.


We ate a hearty turkey dinner (it was, after all, American Thanksgiving), and danced with our Bedouin hosts around the camp fire. There's nothing to do in the desert after dark, and so by 9pm we were all safely wrapped in our camel hair blankets, in our tents.


In a middle of the night trek to the 'ladies washroom' (the big rock beside our camp) I looked up. I cannot describe how amazing the stars were in the desert. Stunning.

Early the next morning we set off for more exploration and driving. The following nights were spent at various hotels, enjoying the fun-loving company of my colleagues, and some much needed sleep, reading for fun, and day-dreaming time.

As luck would have it, I ended up with three friends with the one driver whom we have nic-named “Mr Independent.” We were 8 jeeps in total, numbered, and were supposed to stay in order. When we were off-roading in the desert, he would be the 2nd last to leave, and the first to arrive, because he had taken his own crazy, crazy path, at one point causing a panic attack from a fellow passenger. I will never forget looking out the window and seeing THE SEVEN OTHER JEEPS heading North, back to the road, while we continued on our merry way East to climb an impossibly steep gravel hill to beat the other drivers. I wish my Arabic were better, so I could have asked him why he was doing this.

Back in Cairo, I enjoyed a short week without students, 'teaching virtually' (which we've deemed "virtually impossible" in this country) and cleaning my classroom. One week remains until Christmas, and after much deliberation I've decided to head to Canada for the break. Our 8 day Quarantine was lifted, and in theory people have somewhat relaxed about Swine Flu. My Mask-wearing students haven't gotten the memo yet!

I leave you with a few favs from the desert...


2 comments:

  1. that does look like a whole different world. such an amazing experience you are on right now. disappointed i won't see you at christmas. we are going home to my parents. have a safe flight this way though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Marcus!

    Firstly, let me say that we all miss you so incredibly much! Secondly, I'm supposed to be working on my French ISU right now. :P

    Thirdly, sounds like you've been having a great time in Egpyt! Have you learned a lot of the language or are there enough English speaking people around? Glad to hear you're coming to Canada for the break seeing as it isn't fair that you don't get snow and cold in Egypt. :P You should stop by DCHS! ahhaha

    Fourthly, have a great day :)
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete