Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Missives From Middle School


[Photo credit from AIS website - I don't stalk my students!]

Consider the following story from last period...

5 grade 7 boys crowd my desk during last period, looking at the new pictures I put on my bulletin board, of my family.

S1: Miss, is that your son?
Miss: No, that's my nephew.
S2: Oh that's right, she's not married. Don't worry miss, you're still young. [where did THAT come from???]

S3: Miss, show us a picture of your family.

[Miss seizes the opportunity to reinforce previously learned French terms, and grabs a family photo.]

Miss: Voici ma mère. Voici mon père. Voici mon frère, mon frère, et mon frère.
S3: Wow, you have big family.
Miss: Mon frère Jared et mon frère Paul sont des jumeaux. Do you know what jumeaux means?
All 5: No.
Miss: I'll say it a different way. Paul a 29 ans. Jared a 29 ans. Ils sont des jumeaux.

S5: (And I don't make this stuff up!) Oh I get it, they're Married!

S4: No you idiot, it means they are twins! Why don't they look the same? This is impossible. If they are twins they must look the same.

S2: It must be different in Canada!

(did I mention that I don't make this stuff up???)

At this point I realized the conversation was beyond my control, and I sent all 5 sweet young men to their seats, where I attempted to steer the train-wreck we call 5th period into some semblance of order.

And that, my friends, is why teaching Middle School is hilarious.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Read it to Mom. We had a good chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. I'm glad that there isn't anyone else around my desk b/c I was laughing out loud as I read that.

    " Don't worry miss, you're still young"
    "Must be different in Canada"

    Two of my favourite quotes. Kids are too funny.

    p.s This is Katherine

    ReplyDelete