Saturday, April 6, 2013

Support of All Kinds

A lot of time preparing this winter for the Sea to Sea has been spent bothering people for donations.  And I mean Bothering.

THANK YOU.  You have been generous, you have been gracious and you have been excited for me. Keep it coming!

I wanted to speak to the fantastic students at Woodland about the tour, but I didn't want to bug them about money.




(A more prepared, well-organized version of Shannon would have taken her camera to school.  That Shannon doesn't exist this spring.)


On Wednesday this week, we had an assembly focusing on a recent missions trip a group of grade 12 students took to the Dominican Republic.  Since returning, one of the students has also been doing an interdisciplinary project on poverty.

Perfect.

I took my bike to school, and rode circles around the students as they entered the gym.  My colleague and friend Mandy interviewed me.

I told the students that my biggest fear was hitting a wall.  Oops.  I meant that figuratively, not literally.

M: "What do most people say when you tell them you are riding across the continent in 9 weeks?"

S: "They think I'm crazy."

M "Are you crazy?"

S: "Well yeah, but..."

My message to the students was that we all have something we can do to help those in need.  Biking isn't the only way I can be helpful.  Biking combines my passion for new adventures with my passion for creating change, and that's why I'm biking.


No comments:

Post a Comment