Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 3

We are in the dessert and it is hot, hot, hot.  Our pack of 7 cyclists managed to get on the road at 5:30.  It is already hot at 5:30, but the sunrise on the mountains was pretty fantastic.

We were on a downhill, and hit it hard, knowing we'd be climbing most of the morning.  We were out so early and so fast that the first SAG stop wasn't set up yet.  

At around km 28 I did the dumbest thing possible.  I grabbed my camera from my front bag, going 35km/hr and hit the gravel at the side of the road.  It was thick gravel, and the bike stopped. I did not stop.  I fell forward, and now wear this:

For the record, it could have been worse.  The only real casualty was my 5 year old camera, and I'm hoping to buy a new one in Phoenix this weekend.

This is the last picture I took. Look, vineyards!


Mike, Christie and I broke from our group of 7 as we climbed.  We stopped for ice cream, at all the SAG stops and still managed to make it To camp by 11:30.  It felt so much better than yesterday, to be done quickly!

The weirdest part of today was cycling over 30km on an expressway.  The apparent rule on CA is that you are allowed on the highway if there are no other roads available.  So there we were, 45km/hr downhill with transports and cars passing at 80miles. I don't recommend it.  

6 comments:

  1. On the highway with transports - yikes! Glad to hear that you made it safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got the first tumble out of the way and that you weren't seriously hurt. Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your fall was not more serious. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I'm SO glad that you're ok!! I wish I could hand my camera over to you for the rest of your trip. 2) That would be SO freaky, cycling on a freeway!! Do you have to do that again? 3) Sorry I haven't commented yet. I've been reading on the iPad and it won't let me comment from there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you can mount a camera to your bike helmet? ;) I want to see some more pics of YOU! In the pics. Don't forget the beautiful scenery! Enjoying reading your adventures. Proud of you shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the tumble sucks, at least it was a five-year-old camera, and not one you bought just before leaving especially for this trip!

    ReplyDelete