Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Just be a sheep

Writing this from the perspective of day 3 makes things a wee bit better, but day 2 was definitely a difficult day.

This past winter, a colleague gave me a small figurine of a sheep with a note.  The note referred to the Psalmist, with a reminder that sometimes I just need to "be a sheep" - accepting help, admitting limitations, and being shepherded both by the Shepherd and others He puts in my path.  I have carried that sheep around with me most of the spring, and now I keep it packed in my saddle bag.  


Yesterday was one big reminder that I do in fact need to be a sheep, allow others to help me, and perhaps not be so darn stubborn.

We headed out later than anticipated, but were making good time.  After some tough hills, we were enjoying a downhill cruise of about 40km an hour.  After our SAG stop, we were about to head onto a trail.  Looking down, I realized that I had yet another flat.  With 7 supportive and helpful cyclists, we changed it in no time.  We went down a rough path, and at the other end, all I could hear was a loud hiss coming from...the tire I just changed!

Further examination of the tire revealed that it had multiple perforations and was more or less un-rideable.  Now I had 7 cyclists with me, all waiting, All offering help and suggestions.  I know this sounds sweet and kind, but I was struggling to see it that way at the time! I wanted them to go ahead without me, and stop being helpful. I felt awful for keeping them in the heat.  We called SAG and I was ready to be picked up and taken to mile 68 where there was a bike shop.  I was disappointed that I would already be dropping out of the EFI club.


When SAG arrived they were already carrying another rider, Hendrik deVries.  He had "bonked" (run out of steam) twice already, and was not going to ride any further. He suggested that I try his bike.  The pedals fit, and we lowered the seat.  It wasn't MY bike, but it did the trick. At mile 68 we found a bike shop, and last night Rachel helped me put the new Gaterskin tire on.  It is thick, and will hopefully help the flat situation. 

Other cyclists in our group had issues on Day 2, and we did not arrive in camp until 3:30, the heat of the day. We were tired and frustrated, and beyond happy to see this:


Just be a sheep lesson #1.  I'm sure there will be more...

2 comments:

  1. Eeep. Glad that it worked out for you to bike the whole leg, really shitty about the flats, though!! I'm wondering what "EFI" stands for - I'm thinking "Every Square Inch" but perhaps a little less appropriate. That's all I've got on that one.. :P

    ReplyDelete