Thursday, June 20, 2013

Fun-raising

The fundraising part of this journey has been unexpectedly easy.  I have been surprised (though I'm not sure I should be) at people's generosity and at their cheerful hearts.  Last September if you had asked me what made me the most nervous about the Sea to Sea, I would have said "raising $10 000."

By late April I had to change my goal to $14 000, and as you can see, I'm nearly there.  



A few stories to restore your faith in humanity, in case it was lost.

One night after sharing the Sea to Sea map and story with a young family, the children were sent up to bed.  Much whispering ensued, and a few minutes later, they returned to the living room with a note.  There was a collection of their allowances inside a card that said "dear Shanon, we hope you have fun on your bike ride."  Amazing.

The staff where I work is amazing.  In the fall, my dad issued them a challenge. He would donate $1000 to the tour if they could match it.  Not only did they match it, they blew his contribution out of the water :). The Woodland staff donated over $1600 to the Sea to Sea! As a thank you, I fed them all lunch at one of our PD days.  We all know how much teachers love free food.


People I barely know want to support and be part of something larger than all of us.  Friends of dad's, whom I've met once, for about 30 seconds, donated after hearing of my adventure from dad.  Members of my ultimate frisbee team made donations in support of the ultimate athletic adventure.

It's not too late to make a Sea to Sea donation - you can do so until then end of the tour.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for contributing to the various organizations that work to alleviate poverty around the world.  Your money will be well used to help those in need.

May your generosity result in thanksgiving to God (2 Corinthians 9:11)

1 comment: