Sunday, August 18, 2013

How to not wake up hungry at 4:30am.

There is a long list of reasons a Sea to Sea-er might wake up at 4:30am: the desert required it, trains, someone else's tent or sleeping bag zipper, snoring, farting, or chugging a water bottle just before bed time.  But one of the worst ways to wake up at 4:30 is because you are very, very, hungry.

The cooks in our mobile kitchen are accounting for at least 5000 calories of food per cyclist per day.  Not to mention that our metabolism is kicked into high gear right now.  That's a lot of food!

I never thought I'd say it, but I might be getting sick of eating.   Maybe I should qualify: I'm getting sick of eating high calorie food that fills you up quickly like granola bars, cheese strings, bananas and pasta.

So how exactly do we replace the calories we burn, and ensure that we have the energy to ride day after day?

Here's a breakdown.

Breakfast: bowl of cottage cheese, half bagel and orange juice.  

SAG 1: banana, granola bar, cheese string

SAG 2, 3, 4: apple pieces, orange slices and watermelon galore.

Lunch, usually starting at 10am and spread throughout the next few hours: 2 cheese strings, granola bar or two, sandwich with some form of protein, and grapes.


Now you've all seen the many other pictures of donuts, ice cream and more.  

Upon arrival in camp: chug lemonade and eat fritos to replace the salt. There is usually yogurt and granola out for consumption as well.

Of course through this all we are drinking bottle after bottle of water and sometimes electrolytes, especially when it's really hot. 

And supper.  Supper is glorious.  


Why yes, that's two desserts AND chocolate milk you see on my plate.  

After this is gone we have to start the seconds debate.  "I'm full now, but is this enough food to sustain me ALL the way to breakfast, which is 12 hours from now???". Marc, our cycling guru, points out that if you're not sure, you should probably be eating another plate.  

Cycling guru has also warned that it will be Very difficult to stop eating like this upon quitting the Sea to Sea.  I'm probably going to have to learn how to embrace the hungry feeling again in September. And I'll probably have to give up ice cream and donuts again too :(. Gosh, September is going to suck. 





1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see you're being caloried, even if the granola bars and cheese strings kind of suck after a while. (I ate a granola bar today bc I was famished and had one in my bag. I was amazed at how sweet it was. And I give this to my kids everyday. Hmmm.)
    Looking forward to making you diner (or breakfast of lunch) when you're finished your ride.

    ReplyDelete