Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 21: the first third

I'm writing this after sleeping 10 hours straight in a bed, with no one else near by.  I also had the luxury of a shower, a bathtub and the opportunity to wash 3 loads of laundry. 

Yesterday marked the end of the first third of our journey, which warrants a few thoughts.

Christy and Joel both left the tour yesterday.  Christy has been my constant companion so far, we were assigned to room together that first weekend, and since then earned the nickname Shisty, because we were never apart.  Joel/Rev also brought much hilarity, fun and insight to our first three weeks.  We will miss them!


So far this tour has been both harder and easier than expected.  Physically, I have to say its been a bit easier - the only task is cycling, and when it is difficult or tiring, you stop, drink water, engage in some self talk ("I chose this, I chose this, I chose this"), get on the bike and go some more.  Climbing the mountains was, in hindsight, fun, because I like a challenge, and a good downhill!

The ironic challenge so far has been the people. I do love people, but I'm learning that I also love and crave personal space.  Since landing in California I have shared almost every meal with people, been forced to use words before 7am and cannot seem to find ways to escape.  This is my goal for the next third: read more than 15 pages, walk away from the group and find some alone time!

The weeks to come will bring a descent into the plains - Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and then the Midwest.  Please continue to pray or cyclist safety and well-bing as we travel!



3 comments:

  1. hahaha, words before 7am.. i feel your pain.. rock on Shannon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Christy has left. You two looked so happy together. Oh, well. Maybe more alone time will fill your cup in a different way. I'm still thinking of you every day and praying for you and all the others.
    ...A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your gut level comments and upbeat attitude Shannon. I shared some of your comments with staff here at Partners and we lift you in prayer. May the winds be all tailwinds, the roads smoother and well marked and may there be good chow ready when you are.
    blessings and strength and big thanks,
    Mark Iz and all your fans at Partners Worldwide

    ReplyDelete