Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Day 34

On Saturday we made up for Friday's sloth by riding 157km to Iowa City.  Fortunately the hills started levelling out and I had my speedy legs on. 

I set out with Bonita, but she revealed about 10km in that she'd been struggling with leg cramps the night before, and sent me on with her blessing.  

Around 30km I got to be part of a very fun surprise.  Alice and Joan ride together and are from the same church.  Joan is less fast than Alice, but Alice likes riding with her.  Unbeknownst to Alice, her family was coming in to surprise her that afternoon.  As I passed Joan, she explained this, and asked me to make Alice ride with me faster.  Since I was alone, Alice was easily convinced that I needed a partner and we shot off together at a good clip.  

Just before we hit camp, we blew by Alice's sister and her family, waving signs and yelling for her. So very fun!

Carrie, one of our favourite "SAG moms" returned to the tour today, with fourteen(!) pans of botterkoek.  Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment