Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 31: halfway mind games

The end of day 31 marked the halfway point of this journey... Which doesn't seem so crazy after all.

It was a long day, 137km of rolling hills.  "Rolling" implies sweet, low, simple hills that you could easily coast over at a decent speed. Enough of that crazy talk.  

Somewhere in Nebraska I realized (maybe with Julia's help) that I didn't give two hoots anymore, and that I didn't need to catapult myself over each hill.  Last week I was cooked by Friday, as a result of gearing up (down?) and charging up each hill, trying to maintain high speeds.  This week's strategy is a bit different.  I gain whatever speed I can down a hill, usually somewhere around 40+km, ride it as far as I can, and take the rest of the "rolling" hill at 12km.  Or slower, whatever. Nice and steady. So what we were on the saddle for 6:15 today? So what we only averaged 22.3km/hr?  We had fun. We can still talk when we get off the bike.  We didn't need 3 recovery naps.  Take that, rolling hills.

So just how do you spend 6hrs of saddle time? Here's the mind game break down.

Km 13: I'm already 1/10 of the way there!
Km 20: the first SAG better be soon, I had tea with my breakfast.
Km 25: oh good, SAG 1.
Km 37: only 100 to go!
Km 37-68.5: various math games to determine exactly when this wretched day will be half over. 
Km 68.5: this day is already half over!
Km 68.5-100: dreaming about dropjes.  I think this is a result of all the sweating.
Km 100 is huge.  It means that any difficult mental math is done for the day.  I can easily determine how many km are left.  
Km 100-125: word problems: if Shannon and Julia are traveling at an average speed of 22.3km/hr, at what time will they arrive at camp? More importantly, will Marc, Rachel and Mike have set up their tents for them? (The answer is almost always no, but there was this one time...)
Km 125-137: get me off this bike,  now. If the mileage sheet isn't accurate and I have to go one pedal stroke further than it says... Hey look! There's camp!

So if you were expecting profound thoughts and wise nuggets of wisdom, I'm sorry to disappoint.  Perhaps picturing the hamster spinning on its wheel in an empty brain is more accurate.... :)

Onward and upward. And downward. And then upward some more. 







3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blogs, Shannon. You are so descriptive - and honest. God bless you - and Julia - as you peddle onwards (also eastwards and northwards). Sea to Sea will be coming through my area on August 9th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Difficult mental math"...ah, Shannon...

    Halfway done - awesome! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very funny, Ms. Marcus. If you're already jaded in Iowa, I can't wait to see what you'll be saying by the time you get to Ontario. Ha. Let 'er rip.
    ...A

    ReplyDelete