Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Day 36: stupid fun

Sometimes we do things that are a bit dumb because we are stubborn and out to prove ourselves.  And really, we only need to prove it to ourselves, no one else cares.  Monday was that day.  I personally think its a great collision of Marcus and Pasma genes.  

I have previously mentioned "speedy legs" which basically refers to having legs that want you to sail, and not really wanting to slow them down.  Well rested after a nice day off, my speedy legs wanted me to go fast.  I started the day with Julia and Sarah, but I will admit that I dropped them, which wasn't nice.  Julia was gracious. They weren't alone.

I was on my own, clipping at a good speed, when two "newbies" named Kyle and Jason cycled by.  I caught their draft and asked if I could stick with them for a while. They were clipping, and said I could, but that they wouldn't really be waiting for me, which is completely acceptable when you pick up someone's draft. I assured them that I would not be able to hold on long, but it would be fun for a while.  I totally anticipated dropping them at the next SAG, but a funny thing happened.  It wasn't that bad.

After SAG one, Ava and Kaitlyn also picked us up and we cruised as a pack of five for quite a while, even taking turns pulling the pack.  It became a game for me then, to see if I could keep 31-32km/hr the rest of the 151km.  It's Monday, why not?

Eventually Ava and Kaitlyn dropped back, and Kyle admitted to slightly slowing down.  But, we booked it into camp.  We crossed the mighty Mississippi and entered into Illinois. It took some convincing to get these guys to stop for a picture.  We caught up to some other friends at the state sign.  My average speed for the day was 28.2km/hr. 

What makes this fun stupid, you might ask? When I got off the bike on Monday, I could barely walk.   Remember that we cycle for six days a week on this tour. It's a pretty dumb idea to expend all your energy trying to prove yourself on one day! That might be more of a Friday or Saturday thing to do...



2 comments:

  1. Loving reading your posts today. It looks like you saved up a few days to post. I love your sense of humour - especially portrayed in your pictures. May God keep you in the hollow of His hand as you peddle on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't speak for the Marcus genes, but proving stupid things to yourself totally sounds like a Pasma thing! Glad you survived the ordeal...and the week that has followed.

    ReplyDelete