Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 30

Imagine for a moment.  

Winds so strong that you wake up with your tent suffocating you.  Because there is never a dull moment with Sea to Sea. 

On Monday night Julia's tent buddy had decided to sleep inside the gym at camp Oasis.  We took down my little haven and I decided to join her in her castle-tent.  At 5:30 (that's AM) on Tuesday, Julia gets up to pee, returns to the tent and says, "there's a storm coming, we need to get this tent down."  I had no idea what was outside, so I protested, and pointed out that if there was a bad storm we should just keep sleeping, because they wouldn't let us ride anyways.  (I wanted to sleep in....shocker.). Just as the words were coming out of my mouth, a gust of wind blew the poles of her tent inside out, pushing the side into my face, essentially suffocating me awake.  It was go time.  When we got out of the tent there were those eerie dark clouds swirling around, wind howling in all directions, and one thought.  This is tornado country.  

The point person at camp Oasis was ordering all people and belongings inside as soon as humanly possible.  Her words were, "they say this storm isn't tornadic but I'm from here and it's weirding me out."

For all that adventure pre-communicating time, the rest of the day was pretty normal.  We were delayed an hour, which basically meant that everyone had to start at my normal start time: 8am.  Somehow we were still the last ones to leave.  


We rode through the rest of Nebraska and into Iowa, crossing the Missouri River.  Corn, soy, silos.




We stayed at the beautiful Waubonsie State park, and were privy to a great sunset and some great bugs on our tents.




No comments:

Post a Comment