Thursday, July 4, 2013

Reservation life

Most of my posts are light-hearted in nature, because this journey is supposed to be fun. But I've been trying to process and make sense of where we've been for the past few days.  Please allow me some rambling thoughts.

On Thursday afternoon we rolled into the Zuni reserve. We were staying at the Zuni Christian Mission and were treated to some wonderful hospitality.  There were tours of the town (no pictures permitted), demonstrations of various local skills, and explanations regarding life on a reserve.


I'd never been to a reserve before, in Canada or the US, though I guess we grew up fairly close to Tyendenaga.  

Did I mention that we were in Zuni on July 4? Oh the irony.   Normally I don't like to gawk at poverty,  but this was drastic.  The conditions on this reserve reminded me of other developing world countries where I've been - and we are still in the US!  Lest I be accused of speaking against my American brothers and sisters, I am we'll aware that the situation on Canadian First Nation reserves isn't much better.  

From Zuni we rode into Gallup, and from Gallup into Shiprock, NM.  All of these locations provided a window into Native American culture and way of life.  My eyes have been opened to the hard realities facing these communities.  One of our hosts spoke of brain drain, typically an issue associated with developing countries.  Youth who want an education leave the reserve, go to school and don't return because there aren't many options for educated individuals on the reserve.  The same host talked about how the current reserve government is quite concerned with protecting religious identity, and as such will squash most economic development opportunities on the reserve.  Economic growth is paired with "selling out" or losing cultural identity.  


In Gallup we sat for over an hour talking with the owner of a coffee shop, who arrived to the region as a missionary a few years previous. He gave us many insights regarding the spiritual needs of the communities, the need for stewardship training, money management, nutritional awareness and also pride in one's background and culture.  


We are currently staying at Bethel CRC in Shiprock.  Our worship service this morning included both English and Navajo songs, which was something quite beautiful.  In Gallup we stayed at Rehoboth Christian school, which is one of the Christian Reformed Church's oldest missions.  One of our hosts told us openly that when she attended this school as a child, she would be beaten for not speaking English.  I know things have changed, and I know that churches are a lot more culturally engaged and sensitive than they used to be, but still stories like hers make me worry, and raise more questions than answers.  

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying vicariously following your travels both through your words and your pictures. May God bless you and your fellow cyclists richly as you begin Week 3 tomorrow. I will continue praying for both tailwinds - and continued safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's quite a few calvin grads that have gone back to teach in rehobeth, I'm also thinking Linds, our old RA did for a semester. She might be someone good to talk about it. I know they had a student teaching placement there or aiding, when we were at calvin, and I didn't know Bout it til after and thought it would have been a really unique opportunity.

    ReplyDelete